A covenant is a promise we make to one another. It is similar to a contract where all the parties agree to certain things.
At Liberty Grace Church, the members covenant to one another by all agreeing to the following statement. This statement is read every time new members are added to the church, at member meetings, and occasionally during our worship services. It serves as the ideal to which we are all striving.
By featuring the covenant in our life together, we strive to protect ourselves from individual and corporate sin. Of equal importance, we encourage one another to live in light of the greater covenant that God has made with us through his Son and our Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Having been led, with assurance, by the Spirit of God,1 to receive Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Lord,2 and upon profession of my repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, having been baptized by immersion in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, I engage therefore, by the aid of the Holy Spirit; to walk with you in Christian love; to strive for the advancement of this Church, in knowledge, holiness and comfort—even to the laying down of my life in service for the sake of the Lord Jesus Christ and my brothers and sisters, and if called upon by my Lord, to hazard my life for the gospel’s sake;3 to promote its prosperity and spirituality; to sustain true Biblical worship in it, observing the ordinances of baptism and the Lord’s table, discipline, and doctrines as revealed in the Word of God;4 to contribute cheerfully and regularly of my income as God has graciously prospered me for the support of this church, relief of the poor, and the spread of the gospel throughout all nations.5
I also engage to maintain family and private devotions; to biblically educate my children; to seek the salvation of my family and acquaintances; to be zealous in my efforts to advance the kingdom of my Saviour;6 to walk circumspectly in the world; to be just in my dealings, faithful in my engagements, exemplary in my deportment, abstaining from all appearances of evil;7 and, to avoid all backbiting, gossiping, and unrighteous anger.8
I further engage to watch over you, my brothers and sisters, in brotherly love;9 to remember you in prayer; to aid you in sickness and distress; to cultivate Christian sympathy in feeling and courtesy in speech;10 to be slow to take offence, but always ready for reconciliation, and mindful of the commandments of our Saviour to secure it without delay.11
I also understand that if I am overtaken in any fault, I will be subject to biblical discipline which seeks my restoration.12
I moreover engage that when I remove from this place I will, as soon as possible, unite with some other church of like faith and practice, where I can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s Word. I also realize that Liberty Grace Church has already entered into this covenant one with another and that she is also responsible to me in like manner.
- Romans 5:5 ↩︎
- Romans 8:14; 10:9-10; John 3:8 ↩︎
- Galatians 5:13-16; Romans 8:13; 16:3-4; Acts 15:26; 1 John 3:16; 2 Peter 1:2-8; 3:18 ↩︎
- Hebrews 10:25; Acts 2:42 ↩︎
- Malachi 3:8; 1 Corinthians 9:7-14; Galatians 6:6-8; Philippians 4:14-20;1 Timothy 5:17-18; Hebrews 13:15-17 ↩︎
- 2 Timothy 3:15; Genesis 18:19; Deuteronomy 6:6-8; Ephesians 6:4 ↩︎
- 2 Corinthians 6:3-10; Ephesians 5:15-16; Colossians 3:13-17; 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12; 5:22 ↩︎
- James 1:26; Ephesians 4:25; 5:7; Colossians 3:3-17; 1 Timothy 5:5-11; 2 Thessalonians 3:10-15; 1 Peter 4:15; Proverbs 6:16-19; 8:13; 26:20 ↩︎
- Matthew 22:37-39; John 13:34-35; 1 John 3:18; 4:11; 2 Peter 1:5-8; Romans 5:5; 12:9-10; 1 Corinthians 13:1-7; 2 Corinthians 8:7-8; Galatians 5:6,13-14; Ephesians 4:2, 15-16; Colossians 3:14 ↩︎
- 1 Corinthians 12:26; Colossians 4:12, 13 ↩︎
- Matthew 18:15-17 ↩︎
- Galatians 6:1, 2; Matthew 18:15-17; Romans 16:17, 18; 1 Corinthians 5:1-13; 2 Corinthians 2:6-11; 2 Thessalonians 3:11-14 ↩︎